Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:19:39 +0000
From:      John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet browser setup

Micke Josefsson wrote:

> On 28-Jun-01 IRCD IRCD wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am a new linux user running FreeBSD 4.2 on my computer currently, and i
>>have also manage to gain internet access via PPP. And the desktop manager
>>that i am using is GNOME, but whenever i type "startx" to start up the
>>server, i recieved a message from the gnome system that there is "some
>>problem with accessing gnome internet and i should include the file in
>>/etc/host". Could i please get some help in fixin this problem.

The hostname on your box is not properly set up; as root, edit the text file

/etc/defaults/rc.conf

Look for the field

hostname=""

and insert your chosen hostname inbetween the commas. e.g.

hostname="hostfoobar"

Restart networking (or reboot) for the change to take effect. This
permanently sets the hostname.

Otherwise, (as root) simply do

hostname -s <hostname>

Where <hostname> is your chosen hostname to set the host; however, if
you reboot, you'll need to do this again.

Regards,

John.