Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 02:29:30 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird XFree86 3.3.6 behavior...

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with XFree86 3.3.6.
If I have a large number of clients open (~100 with windowmaker, ~40-50 with
fvwm2, the wm doesn't seem to matter), and xscreensaver kicks in, upon entering
a valid password to unlock, the X server goes into an infinite loop in
WaitForSomething() and eats up all available cpu, hosing the session.
Upon attaching to XF86_SVGA (same exact problem with XF86_S3V) with gdb, it
seems that there is a difference of opinion between WaitForSomething(), which
believes that select() is telling it that a client needs closing down, and
the function which it calls for the task, CheckConnections(), which polls all
fd's with select and doesn't find any that need servicing (!) which goes back
to WaitForSomething(), and back and forth and back and forth...
Could there possibly be some race condition at work, or worse, a bug in select?
I see mention of weirdness with select() in a recent PR, but it was in reference
to named fifos, not unix domain sockets.
Unfortunately, this is easily reproducible, and is keeping me from getting
work done!  If the number of clients I have running do not reach the limits
I mentioned, xscreensaver works just fine and the X server will run indefinitely
without any abnormalities.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions???
Help would be much appreciated in tracking this down.

Thanks!
-Mark