Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:05:18 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem full?

* Troy Settle <troy@picus.com> [000324 04:24] wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've seen this come up before, but don't remember seeing an answer.
>
> After some 200 days of uptime, one of my boxes decided to play stupid and
> pretend like the /var filesystem was full.  As you can imagine, this screwed
> up all sorts of things.  Not until I did a reboot, did the machine start
> behaving properly.
>

> Now, as you can see with the information below, du doesn't show a difference
> of the before and after, yet df does.
>
> This problem, whatever it is, is a serious threat to FreeBSD's claim of
> stability.  200 days is a good, long time, and this machine is due for an
> update anyways, but I would have expected that it could have stays up
> indefinately.  This box has been rock solid until it started loosing it's
> marbles.

It's more likely that some program or person has a large file open in
/var that has been deleted, the space on the disk can't be freed until
the program closes the file or exits.

So the next time you see this, try stopping and restarting several
daemons before making silly claims about stability issues.

thanks,
-Alfred