Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:09:36 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: information about $CVSROOT, 'cvs update' and 'cvsup' - help!

Bsd Newbie wrote:

> I DID "RTFM".
>
> The more I read the more it confuses me.
>
> I HAVE updated to 4-STABLE.
>
> My confusion lies in what I've done.  I thought I updated my ports, but
> now I'm not entirely sure cvsup does this.
>
> Reading the information got me this far... but i'm new to unix in general
> and while the handbook and Greg Lehey's book are good, they aren't
> perfect.  I still leave confused.

OK, some points to clear up:

CVS is the version management system utilized in FreeBSD CVS and CVSup
servers. You do not want to do that.

CVSup is the utility to remotely update _any_ source tree efficiently.
The stable-supfile configures CVSup so it will update your source tree
only. To update the ports directory as well, a second cvs run utilizing
the ports-supfile is neccessary.

You do not need to utilize CVS. Repeat: CVS is not the tool for newbies.

To update your system successfully, you should
- Read the comments at the top of stable-supfile and ports-supfile
- CVSup
- Read /usr/src/UPDATING document _after_ cvsup completely.
- make world as described in UPDATING.

Important: If any documentation contradicts Docs from /usr/src, the
documentation in /usr/src is usually right.

HTH
-Christoph Sold