Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:04:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why anti-trust law?

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> types:
> At 03:24 PM 8/9/2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >I wouldn't, because I think they are generally a bad idea. I've as yet
> >to hear of an example where a corporate monopoly was broken up and the
> >public benefited.
> Four characters: AT&T. It's just a shame that they didn't break it up
> the right way, separating infrastructure from service.

As I mentioned further on, I believe that breakup was a good
thing. That's why I added the "corporate" - I was looking for a way to
describe monopolies that were the result of capatalists working the
market rather than the government playing with the market.

If you want to argue that I made a poor choice of words - well, I'll
agree with that as well.

	<mike