Date:      Sun, 07 Dec 1997 23:05:34 +1100
From:      Livio Mazzon <livio@mse.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User PPP wont release the device

I have just upgraded an existing system from FreeBSD 2.1.6 to 2.2.5.  It is
an ISP server that uses user-ppp to accept dial-ins from attached modems.

Before the upgrade the ppp dial-ins worked fine!

After the upgrade (finally got the machine going)....I now have a problem
where users can dial in, login and connect, and they properly get a ppp
session running.

All routing etc is fine

I use a script on connection to run exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct.

However, when the user hangs up, the modem disconnects, DCD drops, but the
PPP process stays attached to the port.  The user stays logged onto the
system even though the physical connection has dropped.  When the next
person logs in, the modem answers, but they never see the login prompt
(thats because the getty programme never gets the device, ppp is still
holding on to it!).  This happens EVERY logon that uses PPP.

I've checked all the config files, they are the same as before... when they
were working.

And no, I dont think its a cable problem, or modem config problem because if
the user logs in via a shell, the device is released properly to getty.

This is now becoming critical for us.  Any help would be greatly, greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Livio