Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:41:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@planet-three.com>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new Bug with FreeBSD?

I assume this is because the process blocks HUP signals, and ends up
reading a device which gives it endless amounts of input when the user
quits; I find this happens quite a lot, especially with X-apps like
Netscape and XEmacs, and expecially with pine.

I do seem to remember there being a port or package to help kill a users'
processes when this happens.

Scot.

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Eddie Irvine wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:26:32 +1000
> From: Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
> To: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: A new Bug with FreeBSD?
>

> Hi
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2 Stable and am wondering
> if this is a bug I should report. Perhaps someone
> would like to try and duplicate it?
>
> You will need "elm" and the editor "ee" on
> your system, as well as a telnet client on a
> PC or a Mac.
>
> Telnet to FBSD as an ordinary user.
>
> Set up "ee" as your default editor in .profile
>
> enter elm, and start to edit a new mail message.
> Your screen editor should be "ee".
>
> Do not leave the editor in the normal way.
> Instead, just rudely quit the telnet session.
> (eg: File->Quit).
>
> Go to the console and run "top".
>
> top should show the "ee" process still active,
> using up 95% of CPU time. Now go to your
> ethernet hub. It should show a whole heap
> of activity - much more than normal.
>
> I presume this shouldn't happen on a Unix system -
> all processes should be children of the logged in
> user, and thus should get KILL'ed when the user
> exits, no matter how they exit.
>

> Eddie.

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)171 7046777
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019