Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:44:57 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using xconsole with startx

	Is there a way to get the xconsole command to work for normal users with startx?  As a
normal user, when I execute the command xconsole I get the error message

couldn't open console

	The permissions for /dev/ttyv0 are

crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   0 Jul 11 08:49 ttyv0

	and /etc/fbtab has this

#/dev/ttyv0     0600    /dev/console

	Is there a way to use the xauth command to add the ability to a read the console, but not
write to it?  Would it be wise to uncomment the line in /etc/fbtab and make the permissions
more lenient?

Ian