Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:24:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        "Swanson, Toby J." <tjswanson@tva.gov>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'toby@milkyway.org'" <toby@milkyway.org>
Subject:   Re: tuning file systems

> The system is a P5-133, 128Mb memory, FreeBSD 3.4,
> 15Gb hard drive, 50x CDROM.  I want to copy CDs to the
> hard drive and share them with Windows 95/98 clients via
> samba.  All works well, except a 650 Mb CD turns into 1625
> Mb of data on the hard drive.  I've Read the newfs and tunefs
> man pages.  Changing the block size from 8096 to 4048
> helped a little, as did setting  the optimization to space.
>
> The same system running FreeBSD 2.2.8 only uses 1200 Mb.

If you're using "df" or "du" to determine the amount of space taken up,
note that when the BLOCKSIZE environment variable isn't defined, those
commands will give the sizes in 512-byte blocks (at least, they do on my
system).  If BLOCKSIZE is set to "K", they'll answer in 1024-byte blocks.

> Is there anything else I can do to reduce the space used on
> the hard drive?

I haven't tried this, but to reduce space wasted by many small files you
might dd the CD-ROM to a file on the hard drive, then use vnconfig to
attach that file to a vnode (you must configure your kernel with
"pseudo-device vn"), mount it, then have Samba to make the mount point
available to the Windows clients.

Perhaps something similar to:

	# dd if=/dev/acd0c of=/bigdisk/mycd.iso
	# vnconfig vn0c /bigdisk/mycd.iso