Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:13:35 -0700
From:      Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what language should i learn next ?

j mckitrick wrote:

> I want to set the goal of learning a new language in the next couple of
> months.  These are the ones I am considering:
>
> perl
> python
> shell scripting (I am weak in this)
> java (no freebsd support yet, right?)
>
> open to suggestions....
>
> jcm

Hmmm, what about all of them ;)
Seriously, a word of caution.  In my experience, programmers that are
really good at language "x" tend to suffer from an
I-have-a-hammer-every-problem-is-a-nail mentality.  That being said:

-I think the job market is still pretty hot for java
-Shell scripting and (I assume) perl would be great tools if you wish to
do sys-admin type stuff
-python is a _REALLY_ cool language.  I learned Python specifically for
a monolithic project I'm working on right now and this is what I've
discovered
	->Clean, clear syntax
	->Object-oriented
	->Want GUI? You got it. Windows, Unix, Mac, Be...
On the down side, when it comes to commercial software (e.g, databases),
companies will typically come out with a jdbc and/or perl interface
looooong before they produce a python interface (although, if the
database has an ODBC driver Python can access it that way).