Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device naming convention

> > This is what I have in fdisk (from /stand/sysinstall):
> >  Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype Flags
> >       0         63         62        -      6     unused        0
> >      63    1937565    1937627    wd0s1      3    freebsd      165     C
> > 1937628     191268    2128895        -      6     unused        0
> >
> > At this point, the second slice does not exist yet so I can't use it. For
> > problems in defining a slice, see next question.
>
> Really? I wouldn't expect FreeBSD to worry about the type being
> "unused".

If I try the following command as root, nothing is output:
# hd /dev/rwd0s2 | head

Also, I tried writing a little c program to mmap(2) and, if that fails,
read(2) the device. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. It seems I do
actually need to define the slice as some type. The reason is maybe to
define the limits of the device. Therefore, the actual type is of little
importance but knowing where the device starts and stops could be
important for some reason. To make the system happy, I then defined the
slice as "partition type" 0, but fdisk still displayed "unused". Maybe
some obscur type which doesn't appear in the bootloader would be
preferable, if I find one... If this kind of information is relevant to
the mailing list, I'll post what I find.