Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:09:20 +0300
From:      Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Opinions thought regarding: NEWCONS, rc.conf and rc.d/syscons

Hello Stefan!

There is my opinion.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:27:45 +0200
Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As you all probably know, 10.1 will ship with both SYSCONS and NEWCONS.
>
> I'm working keymap files for NEWCONS (translated from those in SYSCONS),
> and they'll need to be named differently than before.
>
> The SYSCONF keymap names in rc.conf will not work for NEWCONS.  They
> include an encoding scheme in their name, while NEWCONS universally
> uses Unicode.
>
> There are a few points that still need to be considered for 10.1:
>
> a) Is rc.d/syscons still an appropriate name when using NEWCONS?
>    (I'd leave it unchanged, but I thought I'd ask ...)

It should follow same rules as other parts. So if we support
syscons(4) kernel config options for compatibility, we should make it
compatible too. (Then remove it all with syscons(4) removal)

> b) Do we need to identify NEWCONS vs. SYSCONS in the messages printed
>    by that rc script? (I guess this might be a good idea.)

vt(4) print information about its attachment, so no requirement to do
same once again. But will be nice to warn user on use syscons(4) rc
variables with vt(4).

> c) Do we expect to warn the user when he has a SYSCONS keymap name
>    specified in the rc.conf "keymap" variable, while using NEWCONS?
>    (This might be a good idea, at least when the default is to use
>    NEWCONS and the user might not be aware of the change.)

Yes. User have to know - "something can work incorrect".
But I think with your great work on keymaps translation it will not
have a place. :)

> d) Do we want to provide the user with an information regarding the
>    name of the SYSCONS keymap configured, to ease the transition?
>    (Could be done ...)

IMO - yes

> e) Do we want the rc script to translate the SYSCONS keymap name
>    to its new form? (This might be good for people using foreign
>    keyboards, if their password uses characters located at other
>    positions than on the default keymap, that will be used if no
>    valid "keymap" is specified.)

dunno

> f) It might be good to introduce "keymap_sc" (and/or "keymap_vt")
>    as a value used in preference to "keymap" if defined and the
>    corresponding console driver is detected. (An alternativ to
>    e) that is easier to implement and still allows to have one
>    rc.conf file that covers both SYSCONS and NEWCONS.)

IMO good idea to name default one as 'keymap' + both version with
suffixes.

> I'd appreciate opinios and ideas how to proceed with these
> questions.

Thank you very much for that work!!!