Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:25:03 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there any reason for FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS?

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 04:10:11PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
#
# Sorry, but I imagined that having a URL that ftp(1) could fetch but
# fetch(1) couldn't was a pretty strong indication that there was a bug
# in fetch(1) (or possibly a bug in the server which fetch(1) needed to
# be taught to work around). This is not about doing things "my way",
# it's about simple, basic common sense.
#
# I'll go so far as to state that any condition of the type "the file is
# present on the FTP or HTTP server and can be retrieved using some
# other tool (e.g. wget) but not using fetch(1)" should be considered a
# bug in fetch(1) and reported to the fetch(1) maintainer (currently
# yours truly).

Understood.  I missed the obvious answer.  However, you seem to
be missing the irony in this situation.  To summarize you wrote:

   'Apparently, Steve decided that reporting bugs is for wimps, and
    committed "a serious hack" (his own words) rather than bother to
    notify me of this problem.'

So you found a bug in code that you maintain and you are disrespecting
me not having notified you of a problem I didn't know existed?

Anyway it is water under the bridge at this point.  I'll try to do a
better job next time, but keep your eye on me because I'm only human.
I do make mistakes and sometimes even overlook the obvious. :)

-steve