Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:56:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Wolstenholme <wolstena@sfu.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Filesystem recovery nightmare

Greetings,

I have been having some SCSI problems on a new FreeBSD 2.2.6 box.  Not
knowing exactly what the problme was I thought I would start from
scratch. The thought was that I had a good backup of my data.

It know appears that my tape archive may be corrupt.  The archive was
made via:

tar cvfz /dev/nrst0 /

However, when I try to restore (eg. tar xvfz /dev/nrst0 /etc)

I get the following errors:

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar unxexpected EOF on archive file

The SCSI error reported in the log is:

Jul 16 14:46:34 alpha /kernel: st0(aic0:5:0): timed out

Is there any way I can get the data off this tape.  I sure would like to
get the /etc directory and some of the stuff off /usr/local.  Any
assistance would be much, much appreciat