Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:34:25 -0400
From:      "Edward L. Howe" <ehowe@gwi.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD on an IBM Thinkpad 600

Hola, gents.
        I am, and have been for a year or two now, an owner of a beautiful
IBM Thinkpad 600. Model 2645-51U. The 266 model, with 160 megs of ram. At
any rate, I've gotten everything I've expected to work working right off the
bat, no problem at all. Only two issues have come up; One, sound... I've
seen pages of information about people being able to get sb emulation
working on it, as far as devices go, just by adding, say;

device    snd0    <blablablaoptions, etc...>
device    sb0    <blablablaoptions, etc...>
device    sbxvi0    <blablablaoptions, etc...>
device    sbmidi0    <blablablaoptions, etc...>

        To the kernel... No such luck on 4.0. As far as I've found, it
bitches incredibly even if I want to compile a kernel with the snd0 device.
So, all thought put aside, I set it to PCM sound, using;

device pcm

        And a few more devices, trying all of css, because it IS a Crystal
chipset, and with this I've tryed both PnP configuration and assigning the
settings statically. No luck. Well, at that point, I got sick of it, so I
just tossed out the idea of getting sound working. It was frustrating me.

        Now, the second problem, my NIC, a LinkSys Etherexpress 10/100
PCMCIA card... It works fine, however, I noticed before that it loads
settings for the network from rc.network in /etc and pccard_ether so I made
changes to rc.conf appropriatly... Upon rebooting,  I noticed that
rc.network loaded BEFORE pccardd or pccard_ether. Obviously, this won't work
very well, as the PCMCIA NIC can't be located before pccardd is loaded...
Completely derived of sleep at this point, I gave up for the night,
everything working but sound and internet connectivity via gateway.

        Any help to be offered would be really appreciated. =) Thanks in
advance!!

            Edward L. Howe