Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:40:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33818: Bootable ITS image for KLH-10 PDP-10 emulator

The following reply was made to PR ports/33818; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To: Ken Stailey <kstailey@surfbest.net>
Cc: FreeBSD Bugs <freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:35:19 -0500

 On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 03:22:32PM -0500, Ken Stailey wrote:
 >Alan Eldridge wrote:
 >>
 >>Urghh ... you know that all the stuff in libexec is read-only, right?
 >>
 >>Just thought of that....
 >>
 >>How's this supposed to be run? Root only?
 >>
 >>Maybe you ought to put the disk image in, oh, ${PREFIX}/spool/klh10/images.
 >>Then at least it's somewhere that's expected to be writable.
 >>
 >>Anybody else got any ideas on that?

 >In what sense is libexec read-only?  Diskless support?  I suppose you
 >could use a spot under /var.

 You saw I did the ${CHOWN} and ${CHMOD}. Stuff in those dirs is supposed
 to be ${LIBMODE}. That's read-only.

 And yes, libexec could be mounted read-only on NFS, for example.

 You've got a port that really wants to run as a USER, in a private
 directory.

 Perhaps the way this works needs to be thought out a bit more. Like,
 installing the compressed image and providing a "user install" script,
 which makes a user directory with the uncompressed image.

 If you work on the master image, then what are you supposed to do when
 you fsck it up? Reinstall the port? Not a good solution.

 COMMITTERS: Suggest changing status of 33816 and 33818 to feedback
 pending resolution of installation and other issues.

 Oh, Ken, could you do a "Big-R" reply to get the Cc: to gnats in there?

 --
 Alan Eldridge
 Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm