Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:48:17 +0000
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qmail and setting up mailboxs

Out of the ether, Sam Carleton spewed forth the following bitstream:

> > Uh... your users should have home _directories_, not files.  Are you sure
> > that /home/mhoman is not a directory?
> >
> > This is a basic concept of multi-user systems, and while I can't come up
> > with a reference right off the bat, I'd recommend that you do some reading.
>
> Come on Alan,  Do you really think I don't know that /home/mhoman is a
> folder?

By your use of the word "folder" instead of the correct word "directory"
and your mis-understanding of the ~, I had no idea of what you know more
than what you type.  Sorry, I'll turn up the brightness on my intuit-meter.

> It was a mistype, what I ment was:
> How do I copy a folder /usr/mail/mhoman to a file /home/mhoman/Mailbox?

What are you using now that has created directories for mail?

The standard, out-of-the-box configuration of FreeBSD (last time I checked
[a minute ago]) was to create /var/mail with each user having a single
mailbox (file).

Did you replace sendmail with something prior to attempting to use qmail?

AlanC