Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:49:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dropped of the lists, *AGAIN*

>	in you case the MX servers, kithrup.com and data.pa.vix.com,
>	are diversely connected.  Unfortunately, your NS servers
>	are not.  you have only two NS records, both at scruz.net.
>
>	scruz.net is served, according to my current version of
>	the BGP-4 table, by uu.net.   uu.net does suffer outages,
>	just like the rest of us.  this is why my employer has two
>	isp's which are diversely connected: uu.net and crl.com.
>
>	the implication is that in the past you may have suffered
>	lose of NS service....and immediate mail bounce.  that will
>	get you unsubscribed pretty quickly if you are on a high
>	volume list or it happens during a high volume spurt on a
>	normally quiet list.

I would strongly suggest you have evidence of that.  I actively watch my net
connectivty, basicly continuously as I can (while I am awake and near a
computer).

Guess what:  i know excatly when my NS information was out.  I also know how
long it is cached, when it is valid, and when it was lost.

My NS information has not been lost to the point of having "kithrup.com" being
invalid, since early 1996, when I moved and switched ISP's.  You do understand
that it's cached, don't you?  It takes seven days for the information to
expire.

Now, make up your mind:  was I removed because mail bounced?  You said no,
earlier.  You claimed it was because a fibre cut resulted in corrupted files.

Which is it?  Note that I informed you, via a note to postmaster@freebsd.org,
on the weekend of June 27/28, that my connectivity was down, and there might
be some mail bounces, but it would be fixed by Monday, June 29th, morning.
And, gosh, it *WAS*.  But, amazingly enough, mail was continusouly delivered
to my MX host throughout the weekend.  (There were some bounces Monday
morning, when I had several thousand mail messages come through
simultaneously, and used up my open file space.  Fixed a bit later.  But that
is not three days worth of bounces.)

If you remove at first bounce, you're doing the wrong thing.  If you do not
keep track of which ones were removed due to bouncing, so they can be added
when a transient problem is corrected, you are doing the wrong thing.

If you are not sure why addresses were removed en masse, you are doing the
wrong thing.

And, even more interesting, I WAS STILL ON THE LISTS AS OF JULY 7th.

That's last week.  Two and a half weeks after my ISP went out.

So why am I not on all the lists I am supposed to be?