Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:15:43 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        Bryan Smith <3babs@qlink.queensu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Redistribution of FreeBSD 5.3

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 21:38, Bryan Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Bryan and I am wondering if I can freely distribute FreeBSD 5.3. If I can redistribute it, is there anything I need to include with the ISO images when I distribute them? I read that I need to include the copyright notice. Do I need to include a seperate document for this copyright notice (text file or html document) or is the copyright notice in one of the ISO images (also, is the copyright notice that I would need to add the one found at http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html)? I know these might be pretty stupid questions, but its better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. Also, is there a limit on the amount I can redistribute?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

I am NOT a FreeBSD official, so please wait and see if anyone
contradicts what I say.

To the best of my knowledge you are free to redistribute the FreeBSD ISO
images.  They contain the copyright notices (many times), and you don't
need at add anything. Obviously you shouldn't try and claim that you are
the author!  There is no limit on the number of copies you can
distribute - after all, these images are available on many public FTP
servers.

The additional CDs that you get with a boxed set are NOT for
redistribution, although everything on them is available on the FTP
sites - just not as an ISO image.

Welcome to FreeBSD - try and spread it around Queen's as much as you
can!