Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:51:32 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing tape drive?

I have an HP SCSI DAT tape (that works fine on other FreeBSD machines).
However, on one, when I try to access it, I get the message:
bash-2.04# mt status
mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured

The drive is seen by the Adaptec 2940 controller during the pre-boot
messages and the kernel itself sees it at boot time:
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem 0xedfff000-0xedffffff irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
aic7880: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <HP HP35470A 1009> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 8)

uname -a says:
FreeBSD wanmail.ara.com 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #4: Thu Oct 26 15:21:04 GMT 2000 ingham@gatekeeper.ara.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GATEKEEPER  i386

I removed the /dev/*sa* devices and remade them with MAKEDEV sa0.  No
change.

All SCSI IDs are unique.  The disks attached to the controller both work
fine.

This machine is running at securelevel 3.  However, that did not affect
other machines running at the same securelevel from accessing the drive.

Any other ideas on what to try?

Kenneth