Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:32:44 -0500
From:      Thomas Johnson <tom@claimlynx.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   HAST + ZFS causes system to shutdown uncleanly?

Has anyone else noticed issues halting a system that is configured with a
ZFS filesystem on a HAST device? I am using HAST to replicate a ZFS
filesystem between two ESXi virtual machines (trying to emulate our
production systems in a test environment) and I've noticed that the system
doesn't seem to shutdown completely in this arrangement (hangs after ""
message). I did some poking around and learned that if I unmount my zfs
filesystems before shutdown, the shutdown finishes cleanly. Muddling my way
through the rc scripts, it looks like hastd is killed fairly early on in the
shutdown sequence. Presumably this is preventing the system from
syncing/unmounting the ZFS mounts, causing the shutdown to hang.

Does this seem plausible? If so, any ideas on fix, besides making sure I
'zfs unmount -a' before shutdown?

--
Thomas Johnson