Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:57:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I handle a FreeBSD-specific tarball?

I'm a rather novice port maintainer (and not even subscribed to -ports,
so please include me in replies).

The port that I maintain is astro/gpsman.  The author of the port has
come out with a new release (from 5.4.2 to 6.0); that is fine.

But during the lifetime of the 5.4 release, I was surprised one day to
find that the checksum no longer matched:  it seems that the author had
made a slight change in the gzipped tarball, so the MD5 checksum needed
to be re-calculated and the port updated for this.

So for 6.0, in order to allow him to have the flexibility to make such
changes (from what I can understand) without breaking the FreeBSD port,
he has decided to maintain more than one gzipped tarball:

* gpsman-6.0.tgz

* gpsman_FreeBSD-6.0.tgz

* gpsman_slackware_6.0_1.tgz

and he wants the 2nd of the above to be used for the FreeBSD port.

At first, I thought that PKGNAMESUFFIX would be useful for this, but
experiments to date indicate otherwise.

I have already tried suggesting that perhaps it would be easier for
such (semi-)automated approaches as the ports collection to make the
"gpsman-60.tgz" file the one that doesn't change. and create a
"-bleeding_edge" variant for folks who are doing things by hand.  That
appears to be an option that he does not find acceptable (for reasons
I fail to understand or appreciate).

I would appreciate suggestions for dealing with this situation.

Thanks,
david
I strive to make networks of computers that work.  Thus, I avoid the use of
Microsoft products:  I am not a masochist, and I know that choices exist.