Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:26:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Eric Smith <genocide@adelphia.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install problem

Eric Smith wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> Actually, I am booting from the kernel floppy.  I can boot it just
> fine on other machines...just not on the MCA box.  What led me to
> believe that the floppy controller/drive was the problem was that it
> gave me some sort of I/O error, coupled with a hex address.  I'll try
> and re-create the problem later if neccesary.

In THAT case, yes, it could very well be your floppy or controller. You
didn't tell us you actually got an error on bootup! :-)  If you send us a
copy of the error output, with more detailed specs on your actual hardware
configuration, someone might be able to offer a better clue than my more
general advice ;-)

Just a thought: If you can't get the floppies to go, you can always
install from CD.  (Download the ISO for the desired release/snapshot from
ftp.freebsd.org). It might be easier to borrow a cheap/compatible IDE
CD-ROM drive than it would be to troubleshoot/replace your floppy
drive/controller.

- Ryan