Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:40:10 +0200
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unstable local network throughput

> On 02 Aug 2016, at 22:11, Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On 02 Aug 2016, at 21:35, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> The CX-3 driver doesn't bind the worker threads to specific CPU cores =
by default, so if your CPU has more than one so-called numa, you'll end =
up that the bottle-neck is the high-speed link between the CPU cores and =
not the card. A quick and dirty workaround is to "cpuset" iperf and the =
interrupt and taskqueue threads to specific CPU cores.
>=20
> My CPUs : 2x E5-2620v3 with DDR4@1866.

OK, so I cpuset all Mellanox interrupts to one NUMA, as well as the =
iPerf processes, and I'm able to reach max bandwidth.
Choosing the wrong NUMA (or both, or one for interrupts, the other one =
for iPerf, etc...) totally kills throughput.

However, full-duplex throughput is still limited, I can't manage to =
reach 2x40Gb/s, throttle is at about 45Gb/s.
I tried many different cpuset layouts, but I never went above 45Gb/s.
(Linux allowed me to reach 2x40Gb/s so hardware is not a bottleneck)

>> Are you using "options RSS" and "options PCBGROUP" in your kernel =
config?

I will then give RSS a try.

Any other clue perhaps regarding the full-duplex limitation ?

Many thanks !

Ben