Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 09:00:44 -0500
From:      robin@intercore.com (Robin Cutshaw)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        robin@intercore.com (Robin Cutshaw), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcp problems with 2.1.6.1

David Greenman writes:

>    You need to mention what type of ethernet card you're using. The bug isn't
> likely with the TCP code, but rather a device driver or hardware problem.

Sorry, I'm using Digital DE-500 (21140 based) cards in fast ethernet mode.
I haven't seen any errors logged on behalf of the card.

Here's some interesting output from netstat -s:

tcp:
        501348 packets sent
                484426 data packets (214415659 bytes)
                8966 data packets (5313164 bytes) retransmitted
                0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                5549 ack-only packets (5005 delayed)
                9 URG only packets
                54 window probe packets
                2244 window update packets
                100 control packets
        476219 packets received
                392987 acks (for 214425296 bytes)
                13619 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                322209 packets (36425519 bytes) received in-sequence
                225 completely duplicate packets (27234 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                138 packets with some dup. data (17388 bytes duped)
                328 out-of-order packets (110372 bytes)
                3 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                4731 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                5 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        67 connection requests
        28 connection accepts
        0 bad connection attempts
        0 listen queue overflows
        95 connections established (including accepts)
        94 connections closed (including 2 drops)
                58 connections updated cached RTT on close
                58 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
                50 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
        0 embryonic connections dropped
        337150 segments updated rtt (of 342025 attempts)
        4199 retransmit timeouts
                1 connection dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
                0 connections dropped by persist timeout
        23 keepalive timeouts
                23 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        87762 correct ACK header predictions
        64217 correct data packet header predictions

robin