Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:42:27 +0800
From:      Shark Wang <sharkwang@gmail.com>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Did we must put the mounted partition '/' and '/boot' in the same slice ?

I put '/boot' for an individual partition just for 1023 cylinder
story, although FreeBSD did
not need this action !

the following is my partitions layout, pls help to do some check:

ad0s1d      /boot  -> 30M
ad0s1a      /  -> 512M
ad0s1b      swap -> 512M
ad0s1e      /usr -> 6144M
ad0s1f       /var -> 512M
ad0s1g      /home -> 2017M
ad0s1h      /tmp  -> 512M=20

But after I finished my installation and reboot FreeBSD, it will not
load sccuessfully!

Could you tell me what's the mistakes ? thanks a lot !

-Shark

On 7/7/05, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Shark Wang wrote:
>=20
> >Today, I heard something on the partition policy for FreeBSD.
> >
> >Someone said that we must put the mounted partition '/' and '/boot'
> >in the same slice, otherwise, the System will not boot up !
> >

> So what?
>=20
> Please explain what actual problem you are trying to solve and why you
> would want to make /boot a partition at all?
>=20
> Have you read relevant sections from the handbook?
>=20
> You could start with:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-organizati=
on.html