Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:51:42 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        "D. P. Kreil" <kreild@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86cfg dies - any remedies?

On Sunday 02 September 2001 10:54 am, D. P. Kreil, or somone very much like
D. P. Kreil, wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> >you're running bash? <(}:
>
> <grin> so what does a proper sysamin use as their shell? :)

Don't ask me <(}:

I use tcsh for most stuff when I have to log in to a terminal mode.  I like
the <tab>completion, and <up arrow> history searching.
(start typing a path, say, /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52, type the first

> >Seriously though...xf86cfg by default want to open ~/Xf86Config
>
> oh...
>
> >You might try specifiying a -xf86config option
> >pointing to /etc/X11.
>
> >I couldn't get xf86cfg to run at all
>
> Aha, so it's not just me :)

No, its not just you <(}:

You could try copying your /etc/X11/Xf86Config to a backup location, deleting
it, and see what happens (essentially, you would be starting it from scratch.)

If that works, then you would still have to manually merge the two files, but
since you are looking for something relatively simple, it might work.

> The reason I would have liked to run it is that I still have not managed to
> adjust mouse sensitivity. The option "Resolution" "nnn" seems to be pretty
> much ignored in my setup (Logitech 3-button PS/2 mouse on moused as
> /dev/sysmouse).

it occurs to me that using /dev/sysmouse you might need to adjust the
resolution in moused, rather than your x config.

The other suggestion I would make is to try "man Xf86Config" That includes a
lot of options and syntax not included in the stock files generated by
xf86cfg or xf86configure.  Also, if you are running xdm, you might have to
restart xdm for changes to take effect (though they should apply to your
individual sessions).

Finally, rather than just changing the resolution, you might try setting
acceleration, so that if you move the mouse slowly, you still have
fine-grained control, but if you move quickly, it will begin to move more
rapidly.

Oh yeah, you might also try changing the protocol from "auto", that might be
over-riding the resolution, if the mouse reports its true resolution during
the "auto" setup routines. (this might also apply to moused "man moused" or
"man sysmouse" for more info)