Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:23:15 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipsec routing issue

> On 29 Dec 2014, at 16:20 , Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:
>=20
> I am at wits end trying to get ipsec working correctly on FreeBSD =
10.1. I've always used a script or helper (like pfsense) to get it =
working, and setting it up by hand is much harder than it seems. I've =
spent two solid days on this and read everything on the internet...
>=20
> So, I've got racoon working. The tunnel authenticates and comes up =
just fine. The racoon logs all look good. The other end (Sophos UTM in =
my case, which is just linux) also shows everything as up.
>=20
> As I understand it, a gif0 tunnel is not needed at all. It should all =
just work without one, despite the FreeBSD handbook. But I think I'm =
missing something about how gif0 ties into enc0, firewall rules and =
routing. So some questions please:

If you are trying to setup ipsec tunnel mode between two sites, ignore =
gif entirely.

> 1. Let's say I'm not using gif0. Should I expect some routes to appear =
in the FreeBSD routing table? Or do I need to put them there myself? If =
so, what should I be adding? I've seen things like:
>=20
> route add $remote_net/24 $remote_internal_address
>=20
> But how does the OS know where to send traffic to =
$remote_internal_address? Is that something racoon takes care of?

No, there are no routes involved; your security policy deals with this.  =
 setkey -DP is your friend.   You can have racoon inject the policy for =
you if you want, otherwise ipsec.conf is where it goes.

> 2. If I am using gif0 do I need to also use gif0 on the other end? =
This adds another layer of encapsulation which I need to remove at the =
remote firewall don=E2=80=99t I?

Yes.

> 3. What does this mean:
>=20
> ifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.1.1 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
>=20
> Is that mask for the remote end or for the local end?

Or just to be there.

> 4. I'm using pf for a firewall. Other than allowing isakmp, esp and =
ipencap through in both directions, can I control the traffic inside the =
tunnel? Do I need to add rules for that traffic or will it always go =
through?

For that you=E2=80=99ll need enc(4) to do it properly.  Check the man =
page for settings.  You might want to change them off the defaults.

=E2=80=94=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                  Charles Haddon Spurgeon:
"Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life.  Many might have failed
 beneath the bitterness of their trial  had they not found a friend."