Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:04:37 -0800
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dns; default primary zone files get hard coded origin's on secondary.

I recently revamped a lot of my zone files, consolidating several into
generic files since many of our domains have mail, dns, and web hosting on
the same servers.  This works fine on the primary server, substituting an @
symbol in the zone file for the origin of the zone listed in the .conf file.
However, on the secondary  The origin in the zone file is being hard coded
to what ever the server looked up first, which of course wrecks the
information for any subsiquent zone that uses the same default zone file.

example:
on the primary
@		in	soa	etc...

		in	ns	ns1.domain.com
		in	a	ip.of.domain.com
mail		in	a	ip.of.mail.com

The secondary reports this:
$ORIGIN org.	in	soa	etc...

		in	ns	ns1.domain.com
		in	a	ip.of.domain.com
$ORIGIN first.domain.that.got.looked.up
mail		in	a	ip.of.mail.com

Is there a way to get around this?

my primary server is running bind 8.2.3-T6b and the slave server is running
bind 8.1.2

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services Inc.