Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 07:55:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jeff Duffy <jeff@alanne.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 4 while compiling 4.1.1

These sound like exactly what I was posting a couple of months ago. My
fans were fine. MOBO temp was fine. Memory was totally swapped
out. Only occurred on my K6/450 after 4.0 was installed. Other things
like the Gimp built fine. It HAD to be a problem in the OS.

But it was not. It was CPU temperature. A small amount of heat sink
grease applied to the chip and heat sink and the signal 4 errors
vanished! Please make sure that your heat sink is doing it's job
before blaming FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)