Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 14:40:58 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: relatively urgent question (about X)

--PEfPc/DjvCj+JzNg

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 10:50:46AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	For some months I've had increasing troubles with my=20
> 	4.9/4.10 abruptly crashing.  This morning I found my
> 	workhorse server, tao, down and hung up while trying to
> 	fsck /usr.  I cleaned everything thoroughly and then
> 	started xdm.  The grey screen showed, the mouse was frozen;
> 	after 30 seconds, BOOM.  Another crash.  After yet=20
> 	another round of fsck's, I tried startx.  To see what=20
> 	errs might kill the X11 boot.  No: same blank grey screen,
> 	same frozen mouse,same OS crash.
>=20
> 	I tried /stand/sysinstall to reconfigure X.  No luck.
> 	I'm now doing my next stable sup upgrade and am doing
> 	yet another buildworld  && buildkernel.
>=20
> 	I doubt this will resolve the X Window snafu, tho.  So:::
> 	what x11/*XFree* ports do I have to fetch/build/install??
> 	((I'm assuming the reason for the crash was X-related,
> 	but this is only a first-SWAG.) Also, if anybody has had a=20
> 	similar problem, please let me know.
>=20
> 	tia, people,
>=20
> 	gary, ssh'd in from ethic.thought.org

Could this be a hardware issue?  All other things being mostly constant
I wouldn't think that software usually all of a sudden goes bad or gets
misconfigured.  Possibly it got corrupted on the disk for some reason,
but then I might wonder what caused the disk to get corrupted in the
first place.  How about trying a new video card and/or peripherals?
This is assuming that your setup was working one day and then the next
went bad, or if it is flaky and intermittent.

Nathan

--PEfPc/DjvCj+JzNg

--PEfPc/DjvCj+JzNg--