Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:18:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RTFM: it works!!

So I've been playing with Solaris lately.  Being a BSD junkie, time still
trying to get used to it.  Sure there maybe alot of you out there that
have plenty of Solaris experience, but unfortunately I don't so I have to
do alot of RTFM'ing.  Unix started off as a hobby for me, now it's almost
and obsession. ;)

Luckily, I've been messing with BSD for so many years that it's easy for
me to find the answers that I need with a bit of digging and reading.

I had a Canon ImageRunner printer that I wanted to print to via the
Solaris box, but I didn't know what rp name to use so I just cracked the
manuals open and found my answer.  Now I'm happlly printing.  Only took
me about 15-30 minutes to figure everything out (tried a few rp names before
I decided to read the manual).

Now everyone knows that RTFM'ing is the way to go, and in times when
you're really stuck then you ask the Unix elders to give you a helping
hand.

I bring up this subject because one of my coworkers never bothers to read
manuals or look up information via the Internet.  And it bugs me, because
its me he's always coming to for answers.  The one thing that bugs me the
most is when he asks me where the driver disks are for whatever peice of
hardware.  I tell him, "DTFD!" When in doubt, just Download The F*****
Drivers. ;)  It's not like we have quirky hardware here, most the stuff is
name brand so the drivers are totally available. *sigh*

Well, I just had to get that off my chest.  I feel better now. :)

Joey