Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:13:04 +1100
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.5 soft updates

I notice the FreeBSD 4.5 release notes say that sysinstall will now
enable soft updates on all files systems except the root.

Why is that so? Is it a bad idea to have a root file system with soft
updates? Is it just for compatibility reasons?

I need to know because I am installing a system where I am using all
the disk space and mounting it as / (except for swap space
ofcourse)..... I know this is a bad idea for various reasons ..... but
I have good reasons for doing this too....

So my question is basically should I enable soft updates on my system
which uses the whole disk as the root?

Many thanks.....