Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:30:40 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Sean Peck" <seanp@loudcloud.com>, "Vincent Poy" <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com?>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

> I don't know if the DURON is faster when overclocked, I personally stay
away from
> overclocking, I don't need it.

I doubt if the Duron is faster overclocked or underclocked.  It's just the
Thunderbird with less cache.  Less cache != faster (at the same cache speed)
as far as I've ever known.

> The only differences between the Athlon and the Duron is on chip cache,
and speeds
> of the front side bus, if I am not mistaken.
>
> Athlons have larger L2 Cache I believe than the Durons,

That is the only difference.

> and are available with up to a 200MHZ bus.

They both have a 200mhz bus.  Not up to, but 200mhz.

The FSB is 100 or 133 in both. (Not talking about DDR and new boards)

Just say it this way, "Duron is a Thunderbird with less cache".