Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 18:51:50 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Eric Fiterman <fiterman@torrentnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple IP addresses in /etc/hosts

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:41:59AM -0500, Eric Fiterman wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   Is it possible to have an application like ping or telnet iterate
> through IP addresses for a given hostname, if a previous attempt fails?
>
>   For example:
>
>   in /etc/hosts:
> ---------------
>   0.0.0.1 testhost
>   0.0.0.2 testhost
>   0.0.0.3 testhost
> ---------------
>
> If I attempt to 'ping testhost', and the first entry (0.0.0.1) fails, is
> there anything to configure which would allow an automatic attempt to
> ping 0.0.0.2? Is this possible?

I do not think that any of the applications in the base system have
this ability.  The only place I've seen it (and am using it in several
home-grown apps) is in DJB's ucspi-tcp package (sysutils/ucspi-tcp, or
http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html), in the 'tcpclient' utility.

If you specify a destination hostname that resolves to several IP
addresses, tcpclient shall try each one of them in turn until one is
successful.  You can specify the timeout and the retry count.

I guess one could write a telnet client that runs under tcpclient,
or adapt the one in the base system to read from fd 6 and write to
fd 7 (or the other way round, I forget).  Come to think of it,
adapting the base system telnet client to read/write to fd's specified
as cmdline options might be a nice idea.. I just might look into it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence no verb.