Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 2020 12:22:18 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1341MB swap in use with half gig of free memory

--t0UkRYy7tHLRMCai

Something I missed before: When you say "Pi3", I presume you mean
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.  None of the Raspberry Pi variants have
provision for sanely attaching mass storage so I presume your 1TB
HDD is attached via USB 2.0 - which is a further impediment to
tranferring data fast.

On 2020-Jul-03 18:15:58 -0700, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 09:39:38AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>In this case (essentially that of a batch job with no interactive use)
>would using -j1 or -j2 reduce the overall compilation time?  If I'm=20
>understanding correctly the answer is "no", -j1 precludes using extra=20
>cores when it's possible. From time to time it uses all four.=20

As Mark mentions, about the only real way to find out would be to
actually try building with different -j options and see which is
fastest.  So long as the total working set size remains below the ~800MB
usable RAM limit then more cores will speed it up.  Once the system
starts thrashing then goodput[1] drops to roughly zero.  Unfortunately,
the working set size varies widely.

>A smaller browser would be a very welcome discovery. So far, chromium
>is the only one that has worked well enough to be useful.

If you just want to render HTML, images and some trivial JS, then
something like links might do.  Unfortunately, the modern Web has
shifted to the point where the HTML is irrelevant and the actual
content is mostly the result of executing quite complex JS within
the browser - for those pages, you'll probably need Chrom{e,ium},
Edge, Firefox or Safari.

[1] Useful throughput

--=20
Peter Jeremy