Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:21:29 -1000
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade fails - how to fix?

Mind that I am looking at the problem purely from a programmer's
perspective.  I am a rather light user of portupgrade (mainly "pkgbd
-F") & don't upgrade the port itself much.

With that out of the way ...

in message <ef8c8a880810070007g41b4a639h8e1ed673e0da67ba@mail.gmail.com>,
wrote Torfinn Ingolfsen thusly...

> And here portupgrade fails again, on another machine:

Is your version of portupgrade is the latest in the ports? (So that
I can install the same & investigate.)

> root@kg-work2# portupgrade -R nasm pcre xterm mplayer gscan2pdf ImageMagick

What are the exact names of the ports|packages installed?  Many ways
to list; here is a simple one ...

  sh
  pkg_info -Qox nasm pcre xterm mplayer gscan2pdf ImageMagick \
  | sed -e 's/:/  /'
  #  Type exit to exit /bin/sh session; missing here as it might
  #  actually exit your actual shell session.

> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkginfo.rb:74:in `initialize': : Not
> in due form: <name>-<version> (ArgumentError)
>       from /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade:614:in `new'

Seems like portupgrade is dying when a port name-version format does
not match the expected regular expression. Or, the program
encounters a non-port string.

> As always, a single port as the argument to portupgrade doesn't
> fail.

If portupgrade is indeed successful individually for all the above
listed ports, then the second scenario is more likely (the "non-port
thing" one).

  - Parv