Date:      Fri, 5 May 2006 07:46:00 -0600
From:      "Bryan Curl" <bc3910@gmail.com>
To:        "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfirewall tricks

On second look PF has some definite improvements over IPFilter.
My rule set file is half as long for one thing. I like the macros and
tables.

I'm still reading throught he documentation, but, I have not figured out wh=
the log doesnt seem to be working yet. I have all the required entries in
rc.conf.

pf_enable=3D"YES"                 # Enable PF (load module if required)
pf_rules=3D"/etc/pf.conf"         # rules definition file for pf
pf_flags=3D""                     # additional flags for pfctl startup
pflog_enable=3D"YES"              # start pflogd(8)
pflog_logfile=3D"/var/log/pflog"  # where pflogd should store the logfile
pflog_flags=3D""                  # additional flags for pflogd startup

Handbook at http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/. seems to  indicate I need a
device named pflog0 which I do not have. Also pflogd does not start on boot
even tough it is listed in rc.conf. Perhaps the start up script did not get
installed into the correct location. My installatin was from the 6.0 releas=
ISO. so I would naturally assume it is correct.

Thanks for the reminder of this program. I think I will like it better than
the others for my purposes and administrative skill level.

On 5/2/06, Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/06, Bryan Curl <bc3910@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to limit time my kids spend on the internet.
> > The way I am doing it is to make varying, seperate ipf.rules files and
> > install them from cron at the appropriate time.
> > Problem is, if I make a change to one file, I generally have to update
> all
> > the others accordingly.
> >
> > Is there a better way? I have read man ipf but didnt come out with any
> > ideas.
>
> I would use pf and have something like this:
>
> pf.conf
> ----
> block out all from <kids> to any
> ----
>
> crontab
> ----
> pfctl -t kids -T add kids.ip.to.block
> pfctl -t kids -T del kids.ip.to.allow
> ----
>
> You can also keep the IPs in a flat file and just tell pf to re-read
> the file (or read a different file) to update the table.
>
> I love pf.
>
> --
> --
> Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
> --Atom Powers--

Bryan
bc3910 'at' gmail 'dot' com