Date:      17 Jan 2003 12:20:15 +0000
From:      Ian Watkinson <ian.watkinson@ehsbrann.com>
To:        Doron Shmaryahu <doron@home.crc.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Make World

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 23:28, Doron Shmaryahu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a make world upgrade from 4.5 to 4.7 stable. I have done this a couple
> of times with no problems. This time there were no errors but when the
> machine rebooted it just says btx halted and a whole lot of other stuff. It
> sits there and does not boot. If I interrupt the boot process and load the
> kernel.GENERIC manually it boots fine. the only command's that seem to give
> errors are ps and top. The machine runs fine but I would obviously like to
> get rid of this problem.
>
> I have tried reinstalling the kernel, also the generic kernel. I tried doing
> a make world again still the same thing !! Any suggestions would help

You've done.

cvsup your-ports-cvsup-file
cvsup your=stable-cvsup-file

init 1

cd /usr/src
make buildworld.
make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENRIC
make installkernel KERNCONF=GENRIC
make installworld

and it still doesn't work.

I'd not do mergemaster, as it tends to be more of a hindrance than help,
although it does mean you need to read the release notes to see if the
format of anything has changed, which is no bad thing anyway.

--

Ian Watkinson