Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:13:45 +0100
From:      Jonathan Hogg <jonathan@onegoodidea.com>
To:        Stuart Fraser <stuart@stuartfraser.net>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current' <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vge(4) gigabit on VIA EPIA SN 18000 board (again)

On 28 Apr 2008, at 19:17, Stuart Fraser wrote:

> Secondly there is a patch to the vge(4) driver which mostly fixes
> the 1G
> issues. What I was finding is that if I configured the interface in
> rc.conf
> it wouldn't come up in 1G mode it would auto select 100FullDuplex.
> Anytime
> after that it seemed to configure fine - go figure so I just config
> it in a
> later /usr/local/etc/rc.d script. I have tried to soak test as much
> as I can
> and it appears stable underload.

Cool. I applied the patches (or thought I had) and managed to get
gigabit stable for a short while by poking around with ifconfig
settings. Unfortunately as soon as I rebooted I'd lost it and couldn't
manage to get it back again - I'm not sure what I did in the first
place. Instead my poking around was rewarded with a kernel panic.

It's late now and I need the machine back on the network, so I've
switched back over to the vr(4) port for the moment. Tomorrow I'll
check my patching more carefully.

Can you tell me though what your rc.d script contains?

Thanks for the help so far.

Jonathan