Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:35:47 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 5 - What Options for SMP Kernel?

I just built my first 5.4-RELEASE system.  I want a SMP kernel.  The
GENERIC kernel conf file contains this line:

device          apic                    # I/O apic

According to NOTES, this is all that's required to build an SMP kernel.
However my dmesg does not indicate that both processors are being used.
In version 4, these two lines were required:

options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

I've searched Google but haven't found any definitive answers.  Exactly
what lines do I need in my kernel conf and how can I verify both
processors are being used?

Thanks,

Drew

--