Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:40:46 -0500
From:      "Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@slytherin.ds.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Simple bulletin board software for class use?

After using the custom software provided here at Penn State, and, uhm,
finding it lacking ("Please restore from backup." "You'll have to tell
us when it failed" "?!?!?!"), I need to find some simple, presumably
apache-based, web software to run on my workstation.

There will not be more than 70 students per class; I will have well
under 200 users.

I need to be able to feed it a list of names and ID's to set it up--they
all already have psu id's, and one more thing to remember is annoying.
I'd like to be able to script this so that I can email them their
initial password, but that's just frosting.

I do want a login required for access, and I want it to thread the
messages in each section (slashdots nested view is what I'm after).

I'd also like to be able to flag/moderate messages, with the flagging
turning into class points when I do it.  Possibly students could have a
limited number of points to moderate one another as well.

Of course, there's always the slashdot code itself, but that seems a bit
extreme for my modest needs.

Oh, and it should be trivial for me to automate backups!  Students get
*very* unhappy when their work disappears . . .

Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?  I'm sure that there
are a few things in ports that would do it, but having just been bitten,
experience of others weighs more heavily at the moment . . .

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail