Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 06:25:29 +0000
From:      David Bauer <bauer@genprofile.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE, Netgear FA410TXC, device timeout

Hi,

I'm just struggling with the same problem.
The card's diagnostic disc under DOS shows no problem (0x300,11) and the
card works fine with packet driver under DOS.
With freebsd I get it correctly recognised and ifconfig reports it as
ed1. I don't know why 1 and not 0. But anyway I tried to replace ed0
with ed1 in pccard.conf and used the same io and irq as was reported by
the DOS diagn. program (changed the defaults 0x240,3 to 0x300,11 by
changing the configuration index according to the values from cisdump).
The notebook has a Cirrus Logic PD672X pcmcia controller. I'm afraid the
problem is that FreeBSD somehow can not correctly handle this
controller. I had same strange effects with a 3Com Modem Card (discussed
here before). Kernel reports the sio but tip locks up the machine when
accessing the port.
The notebook is an ancient machine without IR, USB and CDROM only sound.
So the irq 3,10,11,15 are free. Cirrus Logic contr. gets the 10 and I
tried the 3,11 and 15 for the pcmcia cards all with the same problem,
that the device is seen and reported but times out if I try to assign
the ed1 an IP address.
I also tried to replace the device card with device pccard from the
NEWCARD configuration example but if I do this and insert the Netgear
than the kernel panics completely.
I would think the problem has nothing to do with the pcmcia card or an
IRQ conflict but lies somewhere deeper in the pcmcia code accessing the
Cirrus Logic controller.

Mike Smith wrote:

> Either you have cable issues, or you're using an interrupt that's not
> free.  Use a different interrupt.
>
> > I also have this problem.
> >
> > I modified if_ed.c to have correct probe (good mac address) but i can't
> > use this card for networking (device timeout...) :(((
> >
> > I bought this card cause i saw it in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, but i
> > think i made a mistake...
> >
> > If someone could find a solution, it will be great.
> >
> > Marc

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-mobile" in the body of the message
> >

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Dr. David Bauer
GenProfile AG, Robert-Roessle-Str. 10, D-13125 Berlin, Germany
Tel:+49-30-94892165, Fax:+49-30-94892151