Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:15:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        u431839553@navab.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 for FreeBSD 5.2

> I got the -t option working with setchannel using channel 43.

Good.

> I get this while watching live tv:
>     kernel: cxm0: encoder dma not enough buffer space
>     last message repeated 34 times

This indicates that an application failed to read the mpeg data
stream from the cxm device in a timely fashion causing a buffer
overflow (i.e. MPlayer couldn't keep up).  There are several
possible solutions depending on the actual weakest link:

  1) Better video card.  Personally I like the ATI radeon cards.

  2) Better Xserver (i.e. XFree86 4.4) which supports using the
     video card hardware for things like colorspace conversion
     and MPEG motion compensation.  This is of course assuming
     your video card has hardware for those sorts of things.

  3) Faster processor.

  4) More memory (only if your machine is actually swapping).

  5) Enable MPlayer's frame drop option (more of a workaround
     than a solution).

> Yes, it's composite input. I got a SCART output from the satellite box
> to composite/audio line in on the Hauppage card. I get "device not
> configured" using both -c and -s.

It sounds like something is wrong with either the cabling or the
composite video output from the satellite box.  What happens if
you unplug the composite video cable from the Hauppauge card and
plug it into the composite input on a TV set?  Do you get a good
picture?  What exactly does your cabling look like?

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |