Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:54:20 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booting 3.x from CD?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 02:46:33PM +0100, Harold Gutch wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:29:18AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > On a (semi-)related topic - I tried to install FreeBSD
> > > 3.3-RELEASE on my "Gericom" notebook last week and _always_
> > > failed when booting from either the CD or from the 3.3 bootdisks
> > > I had created.
> > > The booting process would halt at either the point where it says
> > >
> > > Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
> > >
> > > or it would pass exactly this point and then halt at the next
> > > screen (the one where you select wether you want to config your
> > > kernel in visual mode etc.).  At one of these points it would
> > > simply freeze, no panic, no dump, nothing.
> >
> > More details (eg. the output when you use 'boot -v' on the install
> > floppies) would be helpful.
>
> Whoops, yes, I forgot to attach it to my last mail.
> This is the output when booting from the CD.  I doubt that the
> verbose output from a bootdisk will look different, but I could
> give it a try...
>

> > It'd be interesting to know if you have the same problem with the boot
> > floppies for a recent 4.0 snapshot.
>
> It halts at exactly the same point.

I tried upgrading my notebook to 4.0-RELEASE last night and
it froze at exactly the same point again.

Two things to note:
a) When booting with boot_ddb set, the kernel drops to DDB, but
   that's it - I can't do/type anything in DDB
b) A GENERIC kernel from 4.0-CURRENT as of January 23rd 1999
   (just a few days after 4.0 got split off) boots just fine.
   I just started a "binary search" trying to nail down the last
   day it worked (and perhaps even the commit that broke it).

bye,
  Harold

--
Someone should do a study to find out how many human life spans have
been lost waiting for NT to reboot.