Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:44:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Evan Oulashin <eno@pdxconnect.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: am I missing something?

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Evan Oulashin wrote:

[snip - code like manna falling down from heaven and getting itself
self-integrated]

> To anyone who's been on the list more than a couple of months it should
> be quite clear that a> there's NO effort currently going into the sparc
> port, and b> there's NO one out there willing to pick up the banner and
> run with it.  Maybe this is really saying, hey, if I want BSD on Sparc,
> I'll just run Open or Net.  Or, maybe this says, hey, Solaris just does
> such a bang up job (right) that why would we spend the time...

It just happens that the following things have not came together into one
person yet:
	* time
	* desire to work on freebsd-sparc
	* ability to work on the level required to kickstart it
	* hardware

> What might happen, for instance, if there were to evolve a base
> distribution which contained all of what's good in Free, Net, and Open,
> as well as BSD, and then at install time/compile time, whatever, the
> user then merely selected those attributes from whatever system that
> would work well for him?  I realize this is some gross
> oversimplification of tons of code here, but I must admit, I've always
> sort of marveled at the fact that the 4 factions just sort of continue
> on their own paths rather than joining forces and perhaps producing the
> sum of all good...

The great unified BSD. Not really worth spending time on, definately not
on this list