Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:09:57 -0600
From:      "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@attglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   TGA and PCI

I'm trying to finish-up a port of NetBSD's TGA driver to FreeBSD, and
I'm running into problems in the very early probe phase during
pci_cfgread()...

Basically, in (st550, st660, etc.)_cons_init(), it first calls (apecs,
cia, etc.)_init() to enable PCI support.  Shortly after that , it calls
sccnattach where the probe for TGA occurs.  To to the probe, I read cfg
space to get the device id and vendor id for all slots to determine if
what I find is a TGA card.  During pci_cfgread(), however, the machine
suffers an "invalid kernel stack" error and halts.

I've tracked it down to a final call to alpha_mb()...does anyone know
why this instruction should kill the machine at this point?  Is PCI not
really available to me this early?

Andrew Miklic