Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:34:44 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sensors fun..

Quoting John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> (from Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:50:37 -0400=
):

> On Thursday 18 October 2007 07:39:49 am Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> To me it looks like your proposal spans more than one of the above
>> described layers in one package. It seems you describe what I call
>> single-system sensors framework above. It looks like you want to have
>> this with parts of it in the kernel. I don't think this is a good idea
>> as I don't think userland data should be feed into the kernel. Could
>> you please describe where you see benefits of your architecture
>> compared to the description I provided above?
>
> Nowhere do I suggest to feed userland data into the kernel just so it can =
be
> reexported to userland.  Instead, I think the "public" interface that syst=
at,
> monitoring daemons, SNMP, etc. should be a userland interface that can hav=
> multiple backends.  It can pull data from a sensor implemented in userland=
 or
> a sensor implemented in the kernel.

I was thinking you talk about the interface between the kernel and the =20
userland. Now I think that you talk more or less about something which =20
could be implemented e.g., as an userland library which not only polls =20
the kernel sensors framework, but provides the single-system sensor =20
data (and could be a base of a singe-system sensor daemon which feeds =20
its data to a group-level sensors framework). Does this sound like =20
what you have in mind?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Practical politics consists in ignoring facts.
=09=09-- Henry Adams

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137