Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 21:14:22 -0700
From:      "iyengar" <SanatanaDharma@email.msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sio1 problem, ppp problem and 3com 3c905B-TX problem

Hi Friends,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers with 3 specific
problems I am running into.

I have a new Dell Dimension XPS R400. It has an internal modem which windows
shows as hooked up to COM2. I checked the IRQ=3 and the port address=0x100.
The IO range is 0x100 - 0x107.
I changed the sio1 port address using userconfig from the default to 0x100.

FreeBSD (2.2.7) comes up with the following messages :

Sio1: Configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
Sio1: irq maps 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
Sio1: Probe failed test(s): 1 4 6 7 9
Sio1: not found at 0x100

Can anyone please let me know what the problem is here and how I can resolve
it?

Second: My ethernet card is a 3COM 3C905B-TX hooked up on irq 11 and port
address 0x1400
with IO range 0x1400 0x147f. I realize FreeBSD does not support this
particular card - but I took one close to it the "ep0" device from 3com and
changed the port address with userconfig along with the irq.

FreeBSD cannot find the device "ep0" at the address location given. I have
doublechecked the hex # to be correct. Can someone please tell me how to
take care of this one? Is there any patch I can download that will support
my 3com card?

Third - I am able to dialin to MSN network with PPP and it comes up with the
message :login OK.
However the connection is dropped within 10 seconds. The default timeout in
the ppp.conf is 0. Also
LCP is enabled. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Srinivasan.