Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:34:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Peter Karlsson <peter@perkele.coyote.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still having problems with FreeBSD

 DW> 1.  Restart and type "1:wd(0,a)/kernel" at the Boot: prompt to start
 DW>     the system.

That didn't work, I had to use "1:wd(2,a)/kernel" to boot it (took some
trial and error...)

 DW>     a. Change the 'config' line to read:
 DW>        config kernel root on wd2

I changed this, but it still won't boot unless I enter the "1:wd..." stuff
above at boot time (yes, I did install the new kernel). Also, when booting
with the fresh kernel, I lost my keyboard mapping. Isn't is stored in a
startup script like in Slackware Linux (there I change it in
/etc/rc.d/rc.keymap)? Installing a new kernel shouldn't change it, should
it?

 DW> Install the new kernel and you're set to go.  If you don't know how to build
 DW> a kernel, see the FreeBSD Handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook.

Configuring the kernel via the configuration file isn't that easy, is there
a menu system available (a'la Linux' "make menuconfig" (hope you don't kill
me for comparing to Linux, but that's the only Unix system besides FreeBSD
that I've been able to install on my machine, Solaris crashed halfway
through the installation, and nobody I know have AIX available :-) )), or is
it supposed to be for "real hackers" only?

Another question; is it normal for FreeBSD to crash (it panicked and tried
to sync the disks, but failed) when trying to mount an improper partition? I
tried to mount one of my FAT partitions, but since I didn't know exactly how
FreeBSD counts the partitions, I accidently entered what I guess was either
my BootManager partition, or the extended partition. When I did that,
everything froze, and then it panicked with "cannot allocate memory", or
something similar...

--
\\//
Peter - with Linux/Slackware, OS/2, FreeBSD, DR-DOS, Windows 3 and Windows